IAUM CCC 3

Sunday, July 23, 2006

Signup Emails, Contest Schedule and a Lost Bet

We have a mail-sender daemon in KOPCS now, and it works! OK, it's not a daemon, but it does what it's supposed to do, and it has no interaction with users. It's written in Python in about 120 lines (mostly boilerplate or superfluous--why did I put them in then?) including parsing of command files and email templates.
What it all means is that from now on, all signup details will be emailed back semi-automatically (I haven't got cron to work correctly yet.) Also, note that there has been reports of spam filters trapping emails sent from KOPCS (probably for good reason, but don't ask what those are!) So you may want to set up a filter in your mail server or provider to prevent this. On the other hand, the emails KOPCS is going to send you are only the signup confirmation and possibly a per-contest schedule, and you should already know all the schedule for IAUM CCC 3.

That lands us on the second topic. If you log in to KOPCS and go to the "contests" page (the double border was not my idea!), you'll notice that there are four contests defined but all are disabled. That's because I haven't got time to upload the problems for them, so they are disabled. Note the dates and times. And remember, except for the first one (the "Internal KOPCS Test 01", which you can't take part in, unless you are engaged up to your elboes in CCC3) you have to register in the said registration period to be able to compete at all.

Now I get to the embarrassing part. I had a bet that the number of people who signed up would not reach 100 before today (July 23rd, Mordad 1st) but it did. We had ~110 signed up members at the end of yesterday. I won't embarrass myself anymore by saying what the stakes were, but I'll say that although I have lost, I'm not gonna do it!

UPDATE: Eureka! I got cron to work! I don't know why that would have been important for you, but still!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home